makin living space out of attic?
What is your cost to benefit ratio? Will it increase your property value enough to justify demolishing then re constructing the entire roof system to add just a few inches?
In most cases: Hardly.
You would do much better to add a full second stroy than tinker with adding a few extra inches of 'head room'.
Will your codes allow it?
Minimum modern headroom requirements are at least 6'8" and more like 7'+ in most instances.
Adding a few inches for headroom may not even be legal where you live.
Can you modify your attic without making major structural changes?
In most cases NO.
Once you begin to modify an existing attic you need to conform to modern codes. This could involve increasing the depth of existing floor joists which almost always requires the replacement of any steps or stairs leading to the attic.
Attic conversions are rarely easy and even more rarely cheap.
THINK before you act and get your local building code officer's input before you do anything else.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs