makin living space out of attic?
What is your cost to benefit ratio? Will it increase your property value enough to justify demolishing then re constructing the entire roof system to add just a few inches?
In most cases: Hardly.
You would do much better to add a full second stroy than tinker with adding a few extra inches of 'head room'.
Will your codes allow it?
Minimum modern headroom requirements are at least 6'8" and more like 7'+ in most instances.
Adding a few inches for headroom may not even be legal where you live.
Can you modify your attic without making major structural changes?
In most cases NO.
Once you begin to modify an existing attic you need to conform to modern codes. This could involve increasing the depth of existing floor joists which almost always requires the replacement of any steps or stairs leading to the attic.
Attic conversions are rarely easy and even more rarely cheap.
THINK before you act and get your local building code officer's input before you do anything else.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates