I just moved into a townhouse this weekend. As I was plugging in the television in the basement rec room, I noticed that I was kneeling on wet carpet. The color of the carpet makes it very difficult to see the wet area. There are no signs of water in the ceiling above or wall. There are no other signs of water previously and the inspection did not reveal anything. The wet area is close to the door, but the area immediately next to the door is dry. It's an English basement style, which means there is an exterior stairway going down to the basement door. There is a drain at the bottom of the stairwell. The same situation for the wall, which is technically an interior wall, since it's a townhouse. There is a sump pump installed and it seems to be working. It has been raining quite a bit here lately though. What's the first step. Do I need to pull up the carpet? What should I be looking for?
water in basement, yet no rain outside!
What Else - Water in Da' Basement
water in basement
Foundation level with ground can't grade soil away f...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes