fireblocking in attic
Sorry, but you're 'situation' isn't grandfathered since you're a NEW owner to the home.
What you're experiencing is not new. Usually, a home needs to be 'updated' (code wise) when ownership is transfered. That's what you're experiencing. As long as the 'last owner' owned the home, it's normal that they don't have to update the house. BUT, when a home is placed for sale, it's usually subjected to a Municipal Inspection. Depending, the 'update' that's being noted may be needed for 1) Condition of Sale, or 2) Occupancy Permit.
Long story short - If your Municipality requires the Fire Block, you're out of luck. (You'll need to check w/a local Municipal Inspector to see under what 'conditions' a Fire Block is required in an attic. If your Home Inspector is saying you need a Fire Block, ... well, he/she's looking after your safety.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them