fireblocking in attic
Sorry, but you're 'situation' isn't grandfathered since you're a NEW owner to the home.
What you're experiencing is not new. Usually, a home needs to be 'updated' (code wise) when ownership is transfered. That's what you're experiencing. As long as the 'last owner' owned the home, it's normal that they don't have to update the house. BUT, when a home is placed for sale, it's usually subjected to a Municipal Inspection. Depending, the 'update' that's being noted may be needed for 1) Condition of Sale, or 2) Occupancy Permit.
Long story short - If your Municipality requires the Fire Block, you're out of luck. (You'll need to check w/a local Municipal Inspector to see under what 'conditions' a Fire Block is required in an attic. If your Home Inspector is saying you need a Fire Block, ... well, he/she's looking after your safety.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs