fireblocking in attic
Sorry, but you're 'situation' isn't grandfathered since you're a NEW owner to the home.
What you're experiencing is not new. Usually, a home needs to be 'updated' (code wise) when ownership is transfered. That's what you're experiencing. As long as the 'last owner' owned the home, it's normal that they don't have to update the house. BUT, when a home is placed for sale, it's usually subjected to a Municipal Inspection. Depending, the 'update' that's being noted may be needed for 1) Condition of Sale, or 2) Occupancy Permit.
Long story short - If your Municipality requires the Fire Block, you're out of luck. (You'll need to check w/a local Municipal Inspector to see under what 'conditions' a Fire Block is required in an attic. If your Home Inspector is saying you need a Fire Block, ... well, he/she's looking after your safety.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps