fireblocking in attic
Sorry, but you're 'situation' isn't grandfathered since you're a NEW owner to the home.
What you're experiencing is not new. Usually, a home needs to be 'updated' (code wise) when ownership is transfered. That's what you're experiencing. As long as the 'last owner' owned the home, it's normal that they don't have to update the house. BUT, when a home is placed for sale, it's usually subjected to a Municipal Inspection. Depending, the 'update' that's being noted may be needed for 1) Condition of Sale, or 2) Occupancy Permit.
Long story short - If your Municipality requires the Fire Block, you're out of luck. (You'll need to check w/a local Municipal Inspector to see under what 'conditions' a Fire Block is required in an attic. If your Home Inspector is saying you need a Fire Block, ... well, he/she's looking after your safety.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!