I'm in the process of looking to buy a home. I like one - but - It has no sump pump in the basement. Is having no sump pump common? This is the first house that I have seen without one. Is it expensive to put one in? Where would I look to see if my area requires one? I live in Michigan? Thank you!!!!
I don't know about your area, but around my area, a sump pump in the basement is more the exception than the rule. They're only installed if there's a reason. If there's no problem with water in the basement, then a sump pump is usually not necessary. As for installation after the fact, it can be done, and depending on local conditions, it shouldn't be that big a challenge.
If the house isn't a brand new house then it must have done just fine the last few years. Treebeard doesn't say where he lives. I would assume the dryer locations don't use sump pumps because they welcome the water into their house. Free water is good water. A sump pump is used more to pump the water from around your house not from inside your house. If the ground outside your house is sloped away at a good pitch then you probably don't need that sump pump. If it is flat ground I don't see why you would not have one. If you put a sump pump in you would probably want to put the drain tile outside to drain that water away. If you put a sump pump in and don't tie it to anything you might as well just buy a pump and use it in emergencies only.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!