I'm in the process of looking to buy a home. I like one - but - It has no sump pump in the basement. Is having no sump pump common? This is the first house that I have seen without one. Is it expensive to put one in? Where would I look to see if my area requires one? I live in Michigan? Thank you!!!!
I don't know about your area, but around my area, a sump pump in the basement is more the exception than the rule. They're only installed if there's a reason. If there's no problem with water in the basement, then a sump pump is usually not necessary. As for installation after the fact, it can be done, and depending on local conditions, it shouldn't be that big a challenge.
If the house isn't a brand new house then it must have done just fine the last few years. Treebeard doesn't say where he lives. I would assume the dryer locations don't use sump pumps because they welcome the water into their house. Free water is good water. A sump pump is used more to pump the water from around your house not from inside your house. If the ground outside your house is sloped away at a good pitch then you probably don't need that sump pump. If it is flat ground I don't see why you would not have one. If you put a sump pump in you would probably want to put the drain tile outside to drain that water away. If you put a sump pump in and don't tie it to anything you might as well just buy a pump and use it in emergencies only.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love