My husband and I have been in our house for a little more than a year now. The house was previously my grandmother's and my aunt's. My dad, who did most of their "upkeep," doesn't recall this problem happening at all before. Every now and then, we notice a strong stagnant water smell, almost like a sewerage odor in the unfinished part of the basement, where there is both a small full bath and the laundry area. Most of the plumbing and the hot water heater and boiler are also located in this section.
Now for the more recent development: in the past several months, 4 or 5 times I've had to "spin cycle" about 6 inches of smelly water out of the washing machine before using it. I can't draw any common factor from it like rainfall because it is usually 4 or 5 days between uses of the machine. Sometimes the water running into the washer doesn't smell so great either, but it may be that the hot water is stirring up the smell of standing water underneath the drum.
Lastly, once in a GREAT while, when I turn the upstairs (1st floor) shower on, I get a quick whiff of the same smell. Anyone have ANY idea what the problem could be? I've called the city and they say there is no sewer backup trouble reported by anyone else in the neighborhood, which is a closely laid-out suburban area.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!