My husband and I have been in our house for a little more than a year now. The house was previously my grandmother's and my aunt's. My dad, who did most of their "upkeep," doesn't recall this problem happening at all before. Every now and then, we notice a strong stagnant water smell, almost like a sewerage odor in the unfinished part of the basement, where there is both a small full bath and the laundry area. Most of the plumbing and the hot water heater and boiler are also located in this section.
Now for the more recent development: in the past several months, 4 or 5 times I've had to "spin cycle" about 6 inches of smelly water out of the washing machine before using it. I can't draw any common factor from it like rainfall because it is usually 4 or 5 days between uses of the machine. Sometimes the water running into the washer doesn't smell so great either, but it may be that the hot water is stirring up the smell of standing water underneath the drum.
Lastly, once in a GREAT while, when I turn the upstairs (1st floor) shower on, I get a quick whiff of the same smell. Anyone have ANY idea what the problem could be? I've called the city and they say there is no sewer backup trouble reported by anyone else in the neighborhood, which is a closely laid-out suburban area.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide