My husband and I have been in our house for a little more than a year now. The house was previously my grandmother's and my aunt's. My dad, who did most of their "upkeep," doesn't recall this problem happening at all before. Every now and then, we notice a strong stagnant water smell, almost like a sewerage odor in the unfinished part of the basement, where there is both a small full bath and the laundry area. Most of the plumbing and the hot water heater and boiler are also located in this section.
Now for the more recent development: in the past several months, 4 or 5 times I've had to "spin cycle" about 6 inches of smelly water out of the washing machine before using it. I can't draw any common factor from it like rainfall because it is usually 4 or 5 days between uses of the machine. Sometimes the water running into the washer doesn't smell so great either, but it may be that the hot water is stirring up the smell of standing water underneath the drum.
Lastly, once in a GREAT while, when I turn the upstairs (1st floor) shower on, I get a quick whiff of the same smell. Anyone have ANY idea what the problem could be? I've called the city and they say there is no sewer backup trouble reported by anyone else in the neighborhood, which is a closely laid-out suburban area.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects