My husband and I have been in our house for a little more than a year now. The house was previously my grandmother's and my aunt's. My dad, who did most of their "upkeep," doesn't recall this problem happening at all before. Every now and then, we notice a strong stagnant water smell, almost like a sewerage odor in the unfinished part of the basement, where there is both a small full bath and the laundry area. Most of the plumbing and the hot water heater and boiler are also located in this section.
Now for the more recent development: in the past several months, 4 or 5 times I've had to "spin cycle" about 6 inches of smelly water out of the washing machine before using it. I can't draw any common factor from it like rainfall because it is usually 4 or 5 days between uses of the machine. Sometimes the water running into the washer doesn't smell so great either, but it may be that the hot water is stirring up the smell of standing water underneath the drum.
Lastly, once in a GREAT while, when I turn the upstairs (1st floor) shower on, I get a quick whiff of the same smell. Anyone have ANY idea what the problem could be? I've called the city and they say there is no sewer backup trouble reported by anyone else in the neighborhood, which is a closely laid-out suburban area.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!