My husband and I have been in our house for a little more than a year now. The house was previously my grandmother's and my aunt's. My dad, who did most of their "upkeep," doesn't recall this problem happening at all before. Every now and then, we notice a strong stagnant water smell, almost like a sewerage odor in the unfinished part of the basement, where there is both a small full bath and the laundry area. Most of the plumbing and the hot water heater and boiler are also located in this section.
Now for the more recent development: in the past several months, 4 or 5 times I've had to "spin cycle" about 6 inches of smelly water out of the washing machine before using it. I can't draw any common factor from it like rainfall because it is usually 4 or 5 days between uses of the machine. Sometimes the water running into the washer doesn't smell so great either, but it may be that the hot water is stirring up the smell of standing water underneath the drum.
Lastly, once in a GREAT while, when I turn the upstairs (1st floor) shower on, I get a quick whiff of the same smell. Anyone have ANY idea what the problem could be? I've called the city and they say there is no sewer backup trouble reported by anyone else in the neighborhood, which is a closely laid-out suburban area.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes