watering new shrubs
Please, spend a few $$$ and buy a good book. Just make sure you buy one (or read the section) that talks about how to care for your plants in YOUR neck of the woods.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
With the wet weather we've been having recently, you don't need to water them all that much. In fact, if you water them too much, you could do them more harm than good. When I plant shrubs, I'll form a "saucer" on the ground with extra soil, about 2" high, all around the shrub just at the limits of the hole I dug. I'll fill the saucer with water once, let it seep into the ground, and then fill it again. From that point on, I might water it once a day in bright sunny warm weather, but with the rains and drizzle of this week, I'd leave it alone. When the sun comes back out, just watch it. After a couple of days, water them again like before (fill the saucer). But then just watch for signs of stress (leaves folding in or drooping). If the plant seems vigorous, leave it alone. If we run into a couple of weeks of hot sun and no rain, water them once every 2-3 days. That should be fine.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited May 14, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!