watering new shrubs
Please, spend a few $$$ and buy a good book. Just make sure you buy one (or read the section) that talks about how to care for your plants in YOUR neck of the woods.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
With the wet weather we've been having recently, you don't need to water them all that much. In fact, if you water them too much, you could do them more harm than good. When I plant shrubs, I'll form a "saucer" on the ground with extra soil, about 2" high, all around the shrub just at the limits of the hole I dug. I'll fill the saucer with water once, let it seep into the ground, and then fill it again. From that point on, I might water it once a day in bright sunny warm weather, but with the rains and drizzle of this week, I'd leave it alone. When the sun comes back out, just watch it. After a couple of days, water them again like before (fill the saucer). But then just watch for signs of stress (leaves folding in or drooping). If the plant seems vigorous, leave it alone. If we run into a couple of weeks of hot sun and no rain, water them once every 2-3 days. That should be fine.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited May 14, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love