I recently purchased a 1960 ranch with an attic that has about 3-6" of batt insulation with vapor barrier...2x6 rafters where some of the insulation has been compressed to 3+"....furthermore 3/4 of the attic had been and still is covered with 3/4" plywood for storage.....my question is since fiberglass insulation works to slow heat transfer by the principle of slowing air movement....does it make sense to just plywood the remaining areas and seal the top side (seams) of the plywood???....the batts have a vapor barrier on the warm house side (bottom).....I would be able to get 6" of insulation underneath the plywood...not the depth needed to obtain the recommended R value of 39 (in NJ) but it would stop air flow....or I could tear up all the plywood fill the remaining 3" in spots and run batt perpendicular to the joists at 11" depth to give the R-39....the complicating factor is that I have a whole house fan with two (2) large louvered vents 36"x36" on each gable end and therefore would disrupt any insulation placed close to the 36" fan mounted inside one of these gable louvers. Any suggestions?....the large vents coupled with the fact the fan is mounted to the gable end vent instead of the ceiling vent of the house there are NO soffit vents.
Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight