I recently purchased a 1960 ranch with an attic that has about 3-6" of batt insulation with vapor barrier...2x6 rafters where some of the insulation has been compressed to 3+"....furthermore 3/4 of the attic had been and still is covered with 3/4" plywood for storage.....my question is since fiberglass insulation works to slow heat transfer by the principle of slowing air movement....does it make sense to just plywood the remaining areas and seal the top side (seams) of the plywood???....the batts have a vapor barrier on the warm house side (bottom).....I would be able to get 6" of insulation underneath the plywood...not the depth needed to obtain the recommended R value of 39 (in NJ) but it would stop air flow....or I could tear up all the plywood fill the remaining 3" in spots and run batt perpendicular to the joists at 11" depth to give the R-39....the complicating factor is that I have a whole house fan with two (2) large louvered vents 36"x36" on each gable end and therefore would disrupt any insulation placed close to the 36" fan mounted inside one of these gable louvers. Any suggestions?....the large vents coupled with the fact the fan is mounted to the gable end vent instead of the ceiling vent of the house there are NO soffit vents.
Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes