I am getting ready to buy and install a Filtrete brand under-sink water filter, and in anticipation of this task I looked at the water lines under the sink just now. I immediately noticed that the cold water line is a stiff 1980s-era ringed-looking silver type of line (the type that looks like a trachea/windpipe) and I forsee it easily cracking when I start moving it around.
Therefore I am considering replacing that line completely with a length of PEX as part of this job.
My questions are:
1) Is my suspicion on target? Is this line likely to rupture if I start flexing it as the filter installation will no doubt require?
2) Is there anything in particular I would need to know to do that as a plumbing newbie?
3) Videos I've seen about PEX don't make it look like it's very flexible either with regard to doing "C" or "U" curves. Am I wrong about that?
I usually use braided stainless steel or nylon flexible supply lines for that. It's a good compromise of reliability and ease of use. It's good and flexible, won't kink, and easy to work with as opposed to the chrome plated copper.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda