I bought a new construction house that at the time of closing had one crack in the foundation wall that was repaired by the builder. A home inspector regarded the fix as not permanent and in addition to this crack four more have appeared within a period of two months after I moved. The builder argues that the cracks are normal and due to settlement and refuse to fix the new cracks until they are 1/8 inches wide or if water leaks (under warranty for 10 months). A foundation company's opinion is that the house may be sinking and gave me an estimate of $27 k for installing 11 pipes under the foundation.
I don't know who to believe, because both companies have interest at stake. Do you know of foundation inspectors that may give an unbiass opinion or of any organization that may act as an arbitrator to force the builder to extend the guarranty on the foundation?
I'm not a builder or anything, but small cracks are pretty normal in newly poured concrete. The size I'm talking about shouldn't be large enough to put a pin into. If they are bigger than that I might be nervous. You may want to look at other basements of people you know and see if they have the same cracks. This only happens in poured concrete, not a block basement.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love