I bought a new construction house that at the time of closing had one crack in the foundation wall that was repaired by the builder. A home inspector regarded the fix as not permanent and in addition to this crack four more have appeared within a period of two months after I moved. The builder argues that the cracks are normal and due to settlement and refuse to fix the new cracks until they are 1/8 inches wide or if water leaks (under warranty for 10 months). A foundation company's opinion is that the house may be sinking and gave me an estimate of $27 k for installing 11 pipes under the foundation.
I don't know who to believe, because both companies have interest at stake. Do you know of foundation inspectors that may give an unbiass opinion or of any organization that may act as an arbitrator to force the builder to extend the guarranty on the foundation?
I'm not a builder or anything, but small cracks are pretty normal in newly poured concrete. The size I'm talking about shouldn't be large enough to put a pin into. If they are bigger than that I might be nervous. You may want to look at other basements of people you know and see if they have the same cracks. This only happens in poured concrete, not a block basement.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!