I bought a new construction house that at the time of closing had one crack in the foundation wall that was repaired by the builder. A home inspector regarded the fix as not permanent and in addition to this crack four more have appeared within a period of two months after I moved. The builder argues that the cracks are normal and due to settlement and refuse to fix the new cracks until they are 1/8 inches wide or if water leaks (under warranty for 10 months). A foundation company's opinion is that the house may be sinking and gave me an estimate of $27 k for installing 11 pipes under the foundation.
I don't know who to believe, because both companies have interest at stake. Do you know of foundation inspectors that may give an unbiass opinion or of any organization that may act as an arbitrator to force the builder to extend the guarranty on the foundation?
I'm not a builder or anything, but small cracks are pretty normal in newly poured concrete. The size I'm talking about shouldn't be large enough to put a pin into. If they are bigger than that I might be nervous. You may want to look at other basements of people you know and see if they have the same cracks. This only happens in poured concrete, not a block basement.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers