I bought a new construction house that at the time of closing had one crack in the foundation wall that was repaired by the builder. A home inspector regarded the fix as not permanent and in addition to this crack four more have appeared within a period of two months after I moved. The builder argues that the cracks are normal and due to settlement and refuse to fix the new cracks until they are 1/8 inches wide or if water leaks (under warranty for 10 months). A foundation company's opinion is that the house may be sinking and gave me an estimate of $27 k for installing 11 pipes under the foundation.
I don't know who to believe, because both companies have interest at stake. Do you know of foundation inspectors that may give an unbiass opinion or of any organization that may act as an arbitrator to force the builder to extend the guarranty on the foundation?
I'm not a builder or anything, but small cracks are pretty normal in newly poured concrete. The size I'm talking about shouldn't be large enough to put a pin into. If they are bigger than that I might be nervous. You may want to look at other basements of people you know and see if they have the same cracks. This only happens in poured concrete, not a block basement.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING