My basement window wells flood with water under heavy rain conditions. The water then seeps through the windows and down the cinder block basement walls. The window wells are covered with well covers. Downspouts are piped away from the foundation. The water appears to be coming up from below grade level. A ground level deck is over the windows. What can be done to remedy this situation? I am considering cindrblocking the window openings since they are not of much use.
If you have a french drain system, the window wells can be tied into it by drilling holes in the block and running PVC pipe. Blocking up the windows is not recommended.
My concrete basement floor is not attached to the basement cinder block walls. A narrow trench exists between the walls and the floor. Is this what you mean by a french drain? I was considering removing the windows and cinder blocking the openings. What do you think?
Your concrete floor is called a "floater" floating slab. This gap you see is not a waterproofing system. Do you have a sump pump with pipe leading into the sump? If so then you can tie in the wells to this system. 2 problems with blocking up the windows. 1-can be a concern for ventilation 2-no light infiltration. Your basement will now be refered to as the "dungeon"
My basement has provisions for a sump pump. There is a hole in the basement floor at the lowest corner in the basement, but I have no pump or plumbing since the basement is bone dry. The windows in question have a ground level deck over them, so not much light gets in. I do have two other windoe wells on the south side of the house that get plenty of light and are bone dry even without being covered.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda