Subfloor or not?
Most floor manufacturers will not warrant any type floor installed below grade...so it matters not what type of wood floor you install in a basement....It will be void of warranty...so don't do it.
Floating the floor on the concrete will make it hard like concrete: uncomfortable and unforgiving. However, it will run fewer risks of rotting out, breaking, slumping, or what have you. On the other hand, building a subfloor makes the room more comfortable, subtly absorbing sound, vibration and footsteps. However, that comfort also comes with the price of adding installation costs and the potential of slumping, rotting, and the like, especially if it floods.
That said, I would install a subfloor if you plan to use the room at all.
[This message has been edited by TchrMommy (edited December 13, 2003).]
ceilings to strap or not to strap
To settle or not to settle... that is the question..
BSMT CEDAR PLANKS SEALED OR NOT
Attic fan or not
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes