Subfloor or not?
Most floor manufacturers will not warrant any type floor installed below grade...so it matters not what type of wood floor you install in a basement....It will be void of warranty...so don't do it.
Floating the floor on the concrete will make it hard like concrete: uncomfortable and unforgiving. However, it will run fewer risks of rotting out, breaking, slumping, or what have you. On the other hand, building a subfloor makes the room more comfortable, subtly absorbing sound, vibration and footsteps. However, that comfort also comes with the price of adding installation costs and the potential of slumping, rotting, and the like, especially if it floods.
That said, I would install a subfloor if you plan to use the room at all.
[This message has been edited by TchrMommy (edited December 13, 2003).]
ceilings to strap or not to strap
To settle or not to settle... that is the question..
BSMT CEDAR PLANKS SEALED OR NOT
Attic fan or not
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs