Subfloor or not?
Most floor manufacturers will not warrant any type floor installed below grade...so it matters not what type of wood floor you install in a basement....It will be void of warranty...so don't do it.
Floating the floor on the concrete will make it hard like concrete: uncomfortable and unforgiving. However, it will run fewer risks of rotting out, breaking, slumping, or what have you. On the other hand, building a subfloor makes the room more comfortable, subtly absorbing sound, vibration and footsteps. However, that comfort also comes with the price of adding installation costs and the potential of slumping, rotting, and the like, especially if it floods.
That said, I would install a subfloor if you plan to use the room at all.
[This message has been edited by TchrMommy (edited December 13, 2003).]
ceilings to strap or not to strap
To settle or not to settle... that is the question..
BSMT CEDAR PLANKS SEALED OR NOT
Attic fan or not
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!