Subfloor or not?
Most floor manufacturers will not warrant any type floor installed below grade...so it matters not what type of wood floor you install in a basement....It will be void of warranty...so don't do it.
Floating the floor on the concrete will make it hard like concrete: uncomfortable and unforgiving. However, it will run fewer risks of rotting out, breaking, slumping, or what have you. On the other hand, building a subfloor makes the room more comfortable, subtly absorbing sound, vibration and footsteps. However, that comfort also comes with the price of adding installation costs and the potential of slumping, rotting, and the like, especially if it floods.
That said, I would install a subfloor if you plan to use the room at all.
[This message has been edited by TchrMommy (edited December 13, 2003).]
ceilings to strap or not to strap
To settle or not to settle... that is the question..
BSMT CEDAR PLANKS SEALED OR NOT
Attic fan or not
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!