Sump Pump Drain
The more your sump pump runs the less chance there is of it freezing up.
Correct me where I'm wrong cellarwater.
1. The drain pipe does not go thru the wall but goes straight down to about 8 inches. I was wrong about the depth. There is a clean out cover at the top of the pipe should I remove that should the pipe freeze up and occlude?
2. At the curb the pipe is at a depth of 16 to 18 inches and is perforated and covered over with pea gravel. We are at 10 degrees right now am I worried over nothing? My father in law says everything will be fine he was here for the installation.
It sounds like you could modify your cleanout to act as an emergency bypass in the event the pipe freezes. The solid cleanout cover could be replaced with a small round grate that fits in the opening. This would allow water to back out of the system at the cleanout in the event pipes further towards the curb freeze. I agree with your father in law, you probably won't have a problem, but if you do have a freeze-up, you want the system to continue evacuating water from the sump.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them