Sump Pump Drain
The more your sump pump runs the less chance there is of it freezing up.
Correct me where I'm wrong cellarwater.
1. The drain pipe does not go thru the wall but goes straight down to about 8 inches. I was wrong about the depth. There is a clean out cover at the top of the pipe should I remove that should the pipe freeze up and occlude?
2. At the curb the pipe is at a depth of 16 to 18 inches and is perforated and covered over with pea gravel. We are at 10 degrees right now am I worried over nothing? My father in law says everything will be fine he was here for the installation.
It sounds like you could modify your cleanout to act as an emergency bypass in the event the pipe freezes. The solid cleanout cover could be replaced with a small round grate that fits in the opening. This would allow water to back out of the system at the cleanout in the event pipes further towards the curb freeze. I agree with your father in law, you probably won't have a problem, but if you do have a freeze-up, you want the system to continue evacuating water from the sump.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees