My house is about 40 years old and was build according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Guidelines. A recent water heater mishap caused me to have the carpet (ughh) ripped out of the basement (yay!!). The carpet had been laid (with cheap underlay) directly on the concrete. The walls have some kind of foil sheets, no batting, for insulation, finished with "panelling", not real wood but fibre board with a laminate or veneer that looks sort of like wood. I have two quesitons:
1) Is it really necessary to put in a subfloor? I want to put 5/8" plywood, nailed directly into the concrete, and paint it.
2) Should I take down the panels and put in pick insulation or is this foil stuff okay? I understand gyproc is not recommended for basements due to air quality issues.
The basement is not too damp - especially now that the capret is gone. There is an exhaust fan in a full bathroom there, and an automatic dehumidifier which does not go "all out" except in the summer.
It's not really warm, but I live on an island in the middle of the North Atlantic so I don't expect it to be.
I am on a strict budget with no wiggle room at all. My teenaged sons are keen to turn it into what we used to call a "pad". I want them to be comfortable, but no so comfortable they never move out..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!