My house is about 40 years old and was build according to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Guidelines. A recent water heater mishap caused me to have the carpet (ughh) ripped out of the basement (yay!!). The carpet had been laid (with cheap underlay) directly on the concrete. The walls have some kind of foil sheets, no batting, for insulation, finished with "panelling", not real wood but fibre board with a laminate or veneer that looks sort of like wood. I have two quesitons:
1) Is it really necessary to put in a subfloor? I want to put 5/8" plywood, nailed directly into the concrete, and paint it.
2) Should I take down the panels and put in pick insulation or is this foil stuff okay? I understand gyproc is not recommended for basements due to air quality issues.
The basement is not too damp - especially now that the capret is gone. There is an exhaust fan in a full bathroom there, and an automatic dehumidifier which does not go "all out" except in the summer.
It's not really warm, but I live on an island in the middle of the North Atlantic so I don't expect it to be.
I am on a strict budget with no wiggle room at all. My teenaged sons are keen to turn it into what we used to call a "pad". I want them to be comfortable, but no so comfortable they never move out..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?