I am having a dust issue in one room of my house (rancher w/ full unfinished basement). I have replaced the entire duct system, everything is now hard ducted, no panning. But I still get major dust in one room. There are no gaps in the ceiling/wall or wall/floor joints as the moldings are caulked. Only other guess I have is the dust is coming up from the basement through the hard wood flooring.
The subflooring was laid out with 1/2" to 1" gaps between the wood planks then the hardwood laid on top, half a$$ed by the previous owner.
So I want to seal between the floor joists in basement, here are my options I have been pondering:
1. Buying a few cans of that rubber sealer and spray that between the joists below the room that is the problem.
2. Installing thermopan (used for HVAC panning) up tight to the subflooring and caulking the joints along the floor joists and thermopan.
3. Insulating with typical R-30 batt insulation.
4. Insulating with closed-cell spray foam (very costly).
If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!