I am having a dust issue in one room of my house (rancher w/ full unfinished basement). I have replaced the entire duct system, everything is now hard ducted, no panning. But I still get major dust in one room. There are no gaps in the ceiling/wall or wall/floor joints as the moldings are caulked. Only other guess I have is the dust is coming up from the basement through the hard wood flooring.
The subflooring was laid out with 1/2" to 1" gaps between the wood planks then the hardwood laid on top, half a$$ed by the previous owner.
So I want to seal between the floor joists in basement, here are my options I have been pondering:
1. Buying a few cans of that rubber sealer and spray that between the joists below the room that is the problem.
2. Installing thermopan (used for HVAC panning) up tight to the subflooring and caulking the joints along the floor joists and thermopan.
3. Insulating with typical R-30 batt insulation.
4. Insulating with closed-cell spray foam (very costly).
If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!