We are in the process of beginning to build a new home. WE would like to finish the basement to have more living area (to be used as a schoolroom (we homeschool). What is the best way to finish this area? Including what type of ceiling, walls and floors we should pick (as well as lighting choices).
Thanks in advance!!
Some areas with high Radon content in the soil, require a radon crock (a pit with no pump)A soil sample will need to be obtained to find out. Check the water table before you finish the basement. Mold, mildew and water infiltration can ruin things such as drywall, paneling and carpet. Ask your future neighbors and your builder some questions regarding these issues. K2 made a good point about emergency egress. Some folks decide on a Bilco (name brand) folding door, but you may just want a regular door. Best wishes on your new home. plumber Tom/Moderator/www.bobvila.com/BBS/Plumbing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!