reinforcing roof truss for storage flooring
I have a fink truss roof on the house. There is an existing pull down stair for access to an air handler. I would like to create storage space in this "attic" area. I would like to reinforce the truss in order to place plywood flooring for storage. I am trying to create a safe storage area. I am not trying to create a room. Is this possible?
If you post your question in the fix-it for'em you will get more replies. not my area of expertise, but there are some great guys in the previously mentioned forum, that can give you some good advice.
I think the most important thing is to make sure the beams you're supporting everything on are reinforced to the extent of load you're gonna to be placing up there. It's important to ensure that it’s (whatever you are putting up there) weight is spread as evenly as possible, and to get a sturdy flooring to place across the beams. When it comes to storage, you're going to want to make sure that it's easily accessible as well as properly protected.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!