Happy Spring Everybody!
I need to replace one of my sump pumps. It kept tripping my circuit breaker. Impeller was fine. Plugged it in another outlet on the same circuit and it would go on but choke up and start to trip it again (Had it in a surge strip). It was a Flotec 2400 1/3 HP. The cords look brand new, but I was going to check if the motor was wet and the screws are so rusted, I gave up. So my 1st question is what type of housing would be best as I saw some that were cast iron, but that doesn't seem like it would be a "good" thing on a submersible pump. But the weight factor may be a bonus because I think what happened to mine is with the abnormally heavy rains here in the SF Bay Area, I believe it lifted the pump up. When I went to loosen the union, it was just sitting on top of the fitting. I know that the water also got high enough to float a metal chest around! So I think it may have burned the motor with continuous backwash (although it didn't smell).
My 2nd question is, the handyman who installed the pumps for my Mom, put them on a 15A double breaker that includes both pumps, the bathroom, 2 bedrooms (not really used), and one side of the living room (TV, Halogen Lamp (try not to use). I never had any problems before with both pumps going and using my blow dryer, except 2 weeks ago, my neighbors and I compared notes about spikes and drops and called PG&E and they said my line was the worst when they came out, but fixed them. Still, now that I know they're both on this circuit, it bothers me. I have an empty spot (breakout) in my box, and I'm wondering if it would be safer to hook at least one to a separate circuit.
I live on a hill below a golf course with a spring and pond and the underground water comes right down my way. Plus, we don't usually have such heavy rains, and I suspect the golf course didn't adjust their watering schedule, since many of us flooded that normally don't. Oh, and do you think Flotec-Simer is a decent brand and 1/3 HP is not too wimpy?
Thanks, you guys! It's supposed to rain for the next 3 or 4 days, so I can't do my usual piddlin' around!
Taking care of Daddy's digs!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects