I had two black and two white wires coming from the ceiling. I guessed wrong the first time and hooked up the wrong black/white combo to my fixture. It didn't work.
Next, I capped those off & hooked up the other black/white wire combo to the fixture. This worked, but then the strange thing happened: A nearby light quit working.
This light always worked along with the old lights that were connected to the ceiling fan. Now, the new lights were working, but this other nearby light wasn't.
I checked and it wasn't the bulb. So, I took down the new light fixture. I had capped off the "extra" black & white wires. This time, I capped them together, thinking I had interrupted a circuit that provided power to the nearby fixture. This did nothing.
Next, I just tied in the "extra" black & white wires along with the other ones so that BOTH sets were connected to the light fixture. This did the trick. The new light fixture worked & so did the nearby one that had stopped working.
My concern now is that there might be something dangerous about having both sets of wires tied in to this light fixture.
Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- A Strange Thing Happened when I Changed out a Ceiling Fan for Just a Light
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator Not Cooling
Wiring is Black to White? What..?
Ceiling fan light stopped working.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees