I had two black and two white wires coming from the ceiling. I guessed wrong the first time and hooked up the wrong black/white combo to my fixture. It didn't work.
Next, I capped those off & hooked up the other black/white wire combo to the fixture. This worked, but then the strange thing happened: A nearby light quit working.
This light always worked along with the old lights that were connected to the ceiling fan. Now, the new lights were working, but this other nearby light wasn't.
I checked and it wasn't the bulb. So, I took down the new light fixture. I had capped off the "extra" black & white wires. This time, I capped them together, thinking I had interrupted a circuit that provided power to the nearby fixture. This did nothing.
Next, I just tied in the "extra" black & white wires along with the other ones so that BOTH sets were connected to the light fixture. This did the trick. The new light fixture worked & so did the nearby one that had stopped working.
My concern now is that there might be something dangerous about having both sets of wires tied in to this light fixture.
Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- A Strange Thing Happened when I Changed out a Ceiling Fan for Just a Light
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Wiring is Black to White? What..?
Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator Not Cooling
Ceiling fan light stopped working.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight