I had two black and two white wires coming from the ceiling. I guessed wrong the first time and hooked up the wrong black/white combo to my fixture. It didn't work.
Next, I capped those off & hooked up the other black/white wire combo to the fixture. This worked, but then the strange thing happened: A nearby light quit working.
This light always worked along with the old lights that were connected to the ceiling fan. Now, the new lights were working, but this other nearby light wasn't.
I checked and it wasn't the bulb. So, I took down the new light fixture. I had capped off the "extra" black & white wires. This time, I capped them together, thinking I had interrupted a circuit that provided power to the nearby fixture. This did nothing.
Next, I just tied in the "extra" black & white wires along with the other ones so that BOTH sets were connected to the light fixture. This did the trick. The new light fixture worked & so did the nearby one that had stopped working.
My concern now is that there might be something dangerous about having both sets of wires tied in to this light fixture.
Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- A Strange Thing Happened when I Changed out a Ceiling Fan for Just a Light
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Wiring is Black to White? What..?
Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator Not Cooling
Ceiling fan light stopped working.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them