I had two black and two white wires coming from the ceiling. I guessed wrong the first time and hooked up the wrong black/white combo to my fixture. It didn't work.
Next, I capped those off & hooked up the other black/white wire combo to the fixture. This worked, but then the strange thing happened: A nearby light quit working.
This light always worked along with the old lights that were connected to the ceiling fan. Now, the new lights were working, but this other nearby light wasn't.
I checked and it wasn't the bulb. So, I took down the new light fixture. I had capped off the "extra" black & white wires. This time, I capped them together, thinking I had interrupted a circuit that provided power to the nearby fixture. This did nothing.
Next, I just tied in the "extra" black & white wires along with the other ones so that BOTH sets were connected to the light fixture. This did the trick. The new light fixture worked & so did the nearby one that had stopped working.
My concern now is that there might be something dangerous about having both sets of wires tied in to this light fixture.
Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- A Strange Thing Happened when I Changed out a Ceiling Fan for Just a Light
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator Not Cooling
Wiring is Black to White? What..?
Ceiling fan light stopped working.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!