I had two black and two white wires coming from the ceiling. I guessed wrong the first time and hooked up the wrong black/white combo to my fixture. It didn't work.
Next, I capped those off & hooked up the other black/white wire combo to the fixture. This worked, but then the strange thing happened: A nearby light quit working.
This light always worked along with the old lights that were connected to the ceiling fan. Now, the new lights were working, but this other nearby light wasn't.
I checked and it wasn't the bulb. So, I took down the new light fixture. I had capped off the "extra" black & white wires. This time, I capped them together, thinking I had interrupted a circuit that provided power to the nearby fixture. This did nothing.
Next, I just tied in the "extra" black & white wires along with the other ones so that BOTH sets were connected to the light fixture. This did the trick. The new light fixture worked & so did the nearby one that had stopped working.
My concern now is that there might be something dangerous about having both sets of wires tied in to this light fixture.
Any advice is sincerely appreciated.
- Forum >
- Electrical & Lighting >
- A Strange Thing Happened when I Changed out a Ceiling Fan for Just a Light
Need expert opinion about GE Oven GAS SAFETY VALVE
Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator Not Cooling
Wiring is Black to White? What..?
Ceiling fan light stopped working.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates