Basement Framing Question
HI, hopefully someone can answer this question.
One of my basement walls has a couple of PVC pipes from the upstairs bathroom running horizontally along the concrete wall (about a foot down from the ceiling joists) - the concrete wall is already insulated (done by the original builder).
This however means that I cannot place my studs directly against the wall and attach them to the joists, because the PVC pipes are in the way.
1 / I can either place my studs about 6 inches out from the wall so they fit "floor to joist" missing the pipes (as the pipes would be between the concrete wall and the studs)
2 / I can sofit around the pipes - although attaching a furring strip to the concrete wall through the insulation material doesn’t appear very solid.
My question is, is it ok to use option 1 above - or is there some kind of code against having 6ins of space or so behind my new wall (I know I would have to sofit and leave an access point on the main vertical drainage pipe)
Or is it a requirement that I have to sofit around the pipes running horizontally and place my studs between floor and sofit.
Appreciate any advice
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps