Basement Framing Question
HI, hopefully someone can answer this question.
One of my basement walls has a couple of PVC pipes from the upstairs bathroom running horizontally along the concrete wall (about a foot down from the ceiling joists) - the concrete wall is already insulated (done by the original builder).
This however means that I cannot place my studs directly against the wall and attach them to the joists, because the PVC pipes are in the way.
1 / I can either place my studs about 6 inches out from the wall so they fit "floor to joist" missing the pipes (as the pipes would be between the concrete wall and the studs)
2 / I can sofit around the pipes - although attaching a furring strip to the concrete wall through the insulation material doesn’t appear very solid.
My question is, is it ok to use option 1 above - or is there some kind of code against having 6ins of space or so behind my new wall (I know I would have to sofit and leave an access point on the main vertical drainage pipe)
Or is it a requirement that I have to sofit around the pipes running horizontally and place my studs between floor and sofit.
Appreciate any advice
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight