Basement Framing Question
HI, hopefully someone can answer this question.
One of my basement walls has a couple of PVC pipes from the upstairs bathroom running horizontally along the concrete wall (about a foot down from the ceiling joists) - the concrete wall is already insulated (done by the original builder).
This however means that I cannot place my studs directly against the wall and attach them to the joists, because the PVC pipes are in the way.
1 / I can either place my studs about 6 inches out from the wall so they fit "floor to joist" missing the pipes (as the pipes would be between the concrete wall and the studs)
2 / I can sofit around the pipes - although attaching a furring strip to the concrete wall through the insulation material doesn’t appear very solid.
My question is, is it ok to use option 1 above - or is there some kind of code against having 6ins of space or so behind my new wall (I know I would have to sofit and leave an access point on the main vertical drainage pipe)
Or is it a requirement that I have to sofit around the pipes running horizontally and place my studs between floor and sofit.
Appreciate any advice
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs