Basement Framing Question
HI, hopefully someone can answer this question.
One of my basement walls has a couple of PVC pipes from the upstairs bathroom running horizontally along the concrete wall (about a foot down from the ceiling joists) - the concrete wall is already insulated (done by the original builder).
This however means that I cannot place my studs directly against the wall and attach them to the joists, because the PVC pipes are in the way.
1 / I can either place my studs about 6 inches out from the wall so they fit "floor to joist" missing the pipes (as the pipes would be between the concrete wall and the studs)
2 / I can sofit around the pipes - although attaching a furring strip to the concrete wall through the insulation material doesn’t appear very solid.
My question is, is it ok to use option 1 above - or is there some kind of code against having 6ins of space or so behind my new wall (I know I would have to sofit and leave an access point on the main vertical drainage pipe)
Or is it a requirement that I have to sofit around the pipes running horizontally and place my studs between floor and sofit.
Appreciate any advice
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY