Basement Framing Question
HI, hopefully someone can answer this question.
One of my basement walls has a couple of PVC pipes from the upstairs bathroom running horizontally along the concrete wall (about a foot down from the ceiling joists) - the concrete wall is already insulated (done by the original builder).
This however means that I cannot place my studs directly against the wall and attach them to the joists, because the PVC pipes are in the way.
1 / I can either place my studs about 6 inches out from the wall so they fit "floor to joist" missing the pipes (as the pipes would be between the concrete wall and the studs)
2 / I can sofit around the pipes - although attaching a furring strip to the concrete wall through the insulation material doesn’t appear very solid.
My question is, is it ok to use option 1 above - or is there some kind of code against having 6ins of space or so behind my new wall (I know I would have to sofit and leave an access point on the main vertical drainage pipe)
Or is it a requirement that I have to sofit around the pipes running horizontally and place my studs between floor and sofit.
Appreciate any advice
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs