OK, there are a ton of messages about leaky basements. I mowed over some plants that were planted next to my house last night and took notice that my property is in fact tapered towards my house instead of away. The problem is, my house is on a hill with my neighbors house being higher then mine. Our lots are probably 50-60' wide, a small bank and then another flat lot, so I really can't taper the property to much away because it would go right into the bank, but I am planning on doing some. I was thinking about digging down some and tying some pipe in with my rainspouts that go to the street. Would this work? How deep are these pipes laid that run to the street? I'm assuming they can't be to deep if they run out at street level.
Is it best to waterproof a basement from in the inside or the outside? Both seem very intesive. Outside, to do the whole house I'd have to tear out landscaping and most likely walk ways.
I also have a gutter that is holding water and dumping it over the side instead of out to the street where it's supposed to go. If I fix that and my issue with the other side of my house that I mentioned about above, will that solve my water issue in my basement? It comes in mostly through the floor, but some does come in through the walls.
Thanks for any advice...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers