OK, there are a ton of messages about leaky basements. I mowed over some plants that were planted next to my house last night and took notice that my property is in fact tapered towards my house instead of away. The problem is, my house is on a hill with my neighbors house being higher then mine. Our lots are probably 50-60' wide, a small bank and then another flat lot, so I really can't taper the property to much away because it would go right into the bank, but I am planning on doing some. I was thinking about digging down some and tying some pipe in with my rainspouts that go to the street. Would this work? How deep are these pipes laid that run to the street? I'm assuming they can't be to deep if they run out at street level.
Is it best to waterproof a basement from in the inside or the outside? Both seem very intesive. Outside, to do the whole house I'd have to tear out landscaping and most likely walk ways.
I also have a gutter that is holding water and dumping it over the side instead of out to the street where it's supposed to go. If I fix that and my issue with the other side of my house that I mentioned about above, will that solve my water issue in my basement? It comes in mostly through the floor, but some does come in through the walls.
Thanks for any advice...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes