OK, there are a ton of messages about leaky basements. I mowed over some plants that were planted next to my house last night and took notice that my property is in fact tapered towards my house instead of away. The problem is, my house is on a hill with my neighbors house being higher then mine. Our lots are probably 50-60' wide, a small bank and then another flat lot, so I really can't taper the property to much away because it would go right into the bank, but I am planning on doing some. I was thinking about digging down some and tying some pipe in with my rainspouts that go to the street. Would this work? How deep are these pipes laid that run to the street? I'm assuming they can't be to deep if they run out at street level.
Is it best to waterproof a basement from in the inside or the outside? Both seem very intesive. Outside, to do the whole house I'd have to tear out landscaping and most likely walk ways.
I also have a gutter that is holding water and dumping it over the side instead of out to the street where it's supposed to go. If I fix that and my issue with the other side of my house that I mentioned about above, will that solve my water issue in my basement? It comes in mostly through the floor, but some does come in through the walls.
Thanks for any advice...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight