I've used roundup before and naively I killed my grass a few years ago. Now I've got another round of weed problem with clovers and crabgrass. I'm thinking of these weed killers like ortho that supposedly doesn't harm grass.. anybody with any experience with these things and whether or not the product is really friendly to grass but deadly to weeds? thanks.
Visit your local garden center and look for a broadleef weed killer without fertilizer that can be put down with either a rotary or drop spreader. They'll kill the weeds not the grass. The crabgrass may have to wait until next spring when you can put down a pre-emergence along with fertilizer at first spring feeding.
read the label to make sure your turf is tollerant to the herbicide you buy. some turf, especially cool season turf, will burn.
I've had good luck with Ortho Weed-b-gone. Be sure to read the label. Some grasses shouldn't have it applied more often that once a year.
I have had/am having similar problems. This is only my 2nd summer as a homeowner. Last year I overdid the weed-n-feed (applied by hand because I didn't have a spreader) and killed a nice part of my lawn. This year I put the weed-n-feed in the spreader, but I've got clover and other weed problems. I recently applied a 2nd round of weed-n-feed. I've got monster clover problems, which I didn't have last year. I also have a lot of trees which drop hundreds of acorns on my lawn, and those acorns seem to be sprouting. I assume I can't put any more weed killer down without harming the lawn. Any ideas about what I should do?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs