I've used roundup before and naively I killed my grass a few years ago. Now I've got another round of weed problem with clovers and crabgrass. I'm thinking of these weed killers like ortho that supposedly doesn't harm grass.. anybody with any experience with these things and whether or not the product is really friendly to grass but deadly to weeds? thanks.
Visit your local garden center and look for a broadleef weed killer without fertilizer that can be put down with either a rotary or drop spreader. They'll kill the weeds not the grass. The crabgrass may have to wait until next spring when you can put down a pre-emergence along with fertilizer at first spring feeding.
read the label to make sure your turf is tollerant to the herbicide you buy. some turf, especially cool season turf, will burn.
I've had good luck with Ortho Weed-b-gone. Be sure to read the label. Some grasses shouldn't have it applied more often that once a year.
I have had/am having similar problems. This is only my 2nd summer as a homeowner. Last year I overdid the weed-n-feed (applied by hand because I didn't have a spreader) and killed a nice part of my lawn. This year I put the weed-n-feed in the spreader, but I've got clover and other weed problems. I recently applied a 2nd round of weed-n-feed. I've got monster clover problems, which I didn't have last year. I also have a lot of trees which drop hundreds of acorns on my lawn, and those acorns seem to be sprouting. I assume I can't put any more weed killer down without harming the lawn. Any ideas about what I should do?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees