I've used roundup before and naively I killed my grass a few years ago. Now I've got another round of weed problem with clovers and crabgrass. I'm thinking of these weed killers like ortho that supposedly doesn't harm grass.. anybody with any experience with these things and whether or not the product is really friendly to grass but deadly to weeds? thanks.
Visit your local garden center and look for a broadleef weed killer without fertilizer that can be put down with either a rotary or drop spreader. They'll kill the weeds not the grass. The crabgrass may have to wait until next spring when you can put down a pre-emergence along with fertilizer at first spring feeding.
read the label to make sure your turf is tollerant to the herbicide you buy. some turf, especially cool season turf, will burn.
I've had good luck with Ortho Weed-b-gone. Be sure to read the label. Some grasses shouldn't have it applied more often that once a year.
I have had/am having similar problems. This is only my 2nd summer as a homeowner. Last year I overdid the weed-n-feed (applied by hand because I didn't have a spreader) and killed a nice part of my lawn. This year I put the weed-n-feed in the spreader, but I've got clover and other weed problems. I recently applied a 2nd round of weed-n-feed. I've got monster clover problems, which I didn't have last year. I also have a lot of trees which drop hundreds of acorns on my lawn, and those acorns seem to be sprouting. I assume I can't put any more weed killer down without harming the lawn. Any ideas about what I should do?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight