I've used roundup before and naively I killed my grass a few years ago. Now I've got another round of weed problem with clovers and crabgrass. I'm thinking of these weed killers like ortho that supposedly doesn't harm grass.. anybody with any experience with these things and whether or not the product is really friendly to grass but deadly to weeds? thanks.
Visit your local garden center and look for a broadleef weed killer without fertilizer that can be put down with either a rotary or drop spreader. They'll kill the weeds not the grass. The crabgrass may have to wait until next spring when you can put down a pre-emergence along with fertilizer at first spring feeding.
read the label to make sure your turf is tollerant to the herbicide you buy. some turf, especially cool season turf, will burn.
I've had good luck with Ortho Weed-b-gone. Be sure to read the label. Some grasses shouldn't have it applied more often that once a year.
I have had/am having similar problems. This is only my 2nd summer as a homeowner. Last year I overdid the weed-n-feed (applied by hand because I didn't have a spreader) and killed a nice part of my lawn. This year I put the weed-n-feed in the spreader, but I've got clover and other weed problems. I recently applied a 2nd round of weed-n-feed. I've got monster clover problems, which I didn't have last year. I also have a lot of trees which drop hundreds of acorns on my lawn, and those acorns seem to be sprouting. I assume I can't put any more weed killer down without harming the lawn. Any ideas about what I should do?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!