I've used roundup before and naively I killed my grass a few years ago. Now I've got another round of weed problem with clovers and crabgrass. I'm thinking of these weed killers like ortho that supposedly doesn't harm grass.. anybody with any experience with these things and whether or not the product is really friendly to grass but deadly to weeds? thanks.
Visit your local garden center and look for a broadleef weed killer without fertilizer that can be put down with either a rotary or drop spreader. They'll kill the weeds not the grass. The crabgrass may have to wait until next spring when you can put down a pre-emergence along with fertilizer at first spring feeding.
read the label to make sure your turf is tollerant to the herbicide you buy. some turf, especially cool season turf, will burn.
I've had good luck with Ortho Weed-b-gone. Be sure to read the label. Some grasses shouldn't have it applied more often that once a year.
I have had/am having similar problems. This is only my 2nd summer as a homeowner. Last year I overdid the weed-n-feed (applied by hand because I didn't have a spreader) and killed a nice part of my lawn. This year I put the weed-n-feed in the spreader, but I've got clover and other weed problems. I recently applied a 2nd round of weed-n-feed. I've got monster clover problems, which I didn't have last year. I also have a lot of trees which drop hundreds of acorns on my lawn, and those acorns seem to be sprouting. I assume I can't put any more weed killer down without harming the lawn. Any ideas about what I should do?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers