I live in upstate VT and do not need air conditioning.
I would like to better ventilate my attic to get a little “extra” air flow inside the home during the summer.
I do not want to tear a hole in the ceiling for a ceiling fan to blow into the attic as the ceiling is perfect and I would suffer heat loss through the ceiling fan as it hit -30 twice last winter.
I have a small attic, about 550 sq. ft. with good ventilation through soffit vents and a gable vent.
I am considering purchasing a high flow gable fan which would overpower the soffit vents. I would also replace my 14”x19” trap door into the attic space with a screen door in the summer. The objective would be to pull fresh air into the attic via the soffits and circulate air from the home into the attic. This should enable fresh air to be pulled into the home through windows which are always open.
If it does not work well I could always drop the trap door back into place and add more soffits…
Do you know of anyone who has done this successfully?
Many thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY