I live in upstate VT and do not need air conditioning.
I would like to better ventilate my attic to get a little “extra” air flow inside the home during the summer.
I do not want to tear a hole in the ceiling for a ceiling fan to blow into the attic as the ceiling is perfect and I would suffer heat loss through the ceiling fan as it hit -30 twice last winter.
I have a small attic, about 550 sq. ft. with good ventilation through soffit vents and a gable vent.
I am considering purchasing a high flow gable fan which would overpower the soffit vents. I would also replace my 14”x19” trap door into the attic space with a screen door in the summer. The objective would be to pull fresh air into the attic via the soffits and circulate air from the home into the attic. This should enable fresh air to be pulled into the home through windows which are always open.
If it does not work well I could always drop the trap door back into place and add more soffits…
Do you know of anyone who has done this successfully?
Many thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs