I live in upstate VT and do not need air conditioning.
I would like to better ventilate my attic to get a little “extra” air flow inside the home during the summer.
I do not want to tear a hole in the ceiling for a ceiling fan to blow into the attic as the ceiling is perfect and I would suffer heat loss through the ceiling fan as it hit -30 twice last winter.
I have a small attic, about 550 sq. ft. with good ventilation through soffit vents and a gable vent.
I am considering purchasing a high flow gable fan which would overpower the soffit vents. I would also replace my 14”x19” trap door into the attic space with a screen door in the summer. The objective would be to pull fresh air into the attic via the soffits and circulate air from the home into the attic. This should enable fresh air to be pulled into the home through windows which are always open.
If it does not work well I could always drop the trap door back into place and add more soffits…
Do you know of anyone who has done this successfully?
Many thanks in advance.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING