I live in upstate VT and do not need air conditioning.
I would like to better ventilate my attic to get a little “extra” air flow inside the home during the summer.
I do not want to tear a hole in the ceiling for a ceiling fan to blow into the attic as the ceiling is perfect and I would suffer heat loss through the ceiling fan as it hit -30 twice last winter.
I have a small attic, about 550 sq. ft. with good ventilation through soffit vents and a gable vent.
I am considering purchasing a high flow gable fan which would overpower the soffit vents. I would also replace my 14”x19” trap door into the attic space with a screen door in the summer. The objective would be to pull fresh air into the attic via the soffits and circulate air from the home into the attic. This should enable fresh air to be pulled into the home through windows which are always open.
If it does not work well I could always drop the trap door back into place and add more soffits…
Do you know of anyone who has done this successfully?
Many thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes