I live in upstate VT and do not need air conditioning.
I would like to better ventilate my attic to get a little “extra” air flow inside the home during the summer.
I do not want to tear a hole in the ceiling for a ceiling fan to blow into the attic as the ceiling is perfect and I would suffer heat loss through the ceiling fan as it hit -30 twice last winter.
I have a small attic, about 550 sq. ft. with good ventilation through soffit vents and a gable vent.
I am considering purchasing a high flow gable fan which would overpower the soffit vents. I would also replace my 14”x19” trap door into the attic space with a screen door in the summer. The objective would be to pull fresh air into the attic via the soffits and circulate air from the home into the attic. This should enable fresh air to be pulled into the home through windows which are always open.
If it does not work well I could always drop the trap door back into place and add more soffits…
Do you know of anyone who has done this successfully?
Many thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!