Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much detail up front as possible. This has been a problem for a few years now, and it's getting worse. We have an odor in our basement that is seeping up into the house, and when I turn on the furnace or A.C., it comes pouring up through the ducts and is pretty unbearable.
I have an unfinished basement room which has the furnace (electric/ heat pump) and access to a crawl space under the family room. It's your classic dark, dusty, cob-web area. The crawl space has a concrete floor. There is recent insulation under the family room floor here, but I had the odor before the insulation. In this room/ crawlspace area, the smell is the strongest. The rest of the basement, which is mostly finished, and is separated by a door from the furnace room, the smell isn't bad.
I don't think it's a mildew smell, because the basement seems to be completely dry, and I run a dehumidifier. It doesn't smell like a mildewy bathroom, either, but more of a pungent basement smell. I'm thinking mouse urine, but that's just the first thing that comes to mind, since I'm not sure I know what mouse urine smells like. I do occasionally trap a mouse. It doesn't like what I picture a dead animal to smell like.
Any help identifying, finding and fixing this, or suggestions on who to call would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Dave
Fixing leaky basement- which solution is best?
Basement Brick Long Forgotten
Chemical/Vapor odor in basement after mold remediation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects