Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much detail up front as possible. This has been a problem for a few years now, and it's getting worse. We have an odor in our basement that is seeping up into the house, and when I turn on the furnace or A.C., it comes pouring up through the ducts and is pretty unbearable.
I have an unfinished basement room which has the furnace (electric/ heat pump) and access to a crawl space under the family room. It's your classic dark, dusty, cob-web area. The crawl space has a concrete floor. There is recent insulation under the family room floor here, but I had the odor before the insulation. In this room/ crawlspace area, the smell is the strongest. The rest of the basement, which is mostly finished, and is separated by a door from the furnace room, the smell isn't bad.
I don't think it's a mildew smell, because the basement seems to be completely dry, and I run a dehumidifier. It doesn't smell like a mildewy bathroom, either, but more of a pungent basement smell. I'm thinking mouse urine, but that's just the first thing that comes to mind, since I'm not sure I know what mouse urine smells like. I do occasionally trap a mouse. It doesn't like what I picture a dead animal to smell like.
Any help identifying, finding and fixing this, or suggestions on who to call would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Dave
Fixing leaky basement- which solution is best?
Chemical/Vapor odor in basement after mold remediation
Sump Pump and Basement Odor
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight