Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much detail up front as possible. This has been a problem for a few years now, and it's getting worse. We have an odor in our basement that is seeping up into the house, and when I turn on the furnace or A.C., it comes pouring up through the ducts and is pretty unbearable.
I have an unfinished basement room which has the furnace (electric/ heat pump) and access to a crawl space under the family room. It's your classic dark, dusty, cob-web area. The crawl space has a concrete floor. There is recent insulation under the family room floor here, but I had the odor before the insulation. In this room/ crawlspace area, the smell is the strongest. The rest of the basement, which is mostly finished, and is separated by a door from the furnace room, the smell isn't bad.
I don't think it's a mildew smell, because the basement seems to be completely dry, and I run a dehumidifier. It doesn't smell like a mildewy bathroom, either, but more of a pungent basement smell. I'm thinking mouse urine, but that's just the first thing that comes to mind, since I'm not sure I know what mouse urine smells like. I do occasionally trap a mouse. It doesn't like what I picture a dead animal to smell like.
Any help identifying, finding and fixing this, or suggestions on who to call would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Dave
Fixing leaky basement- which solution is best?
Chemical/Vapor odor in basement after mold remediation
Sump Pump and Basement Odor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes