Sorry in advance for the long post, but I wanted to provide as much detail up front as possible. This has been a problem for a few years now, and it's getting worse. We have an odor in our basement that is seeping up into the house, and when I turn on the furnace or A.C., it comes pouring up through the ducts and is pretty unbearable.
I have an unfinished basement room which has the furnace (electric/ heat pump) and access to a crawl space under the family room. It's your classic dark, dusty, cob-web area. The crawl space has a concrete floor. There is recent insulation under the family room floor here, but I had the odor before the insulation. In this room/ crawlspace area, the smell is the strongest. The rest of the basement, which is mostly finished, and is separated by a door from the furnace room, the smell isn't bad.
I don't think it's a mildew smell, because the basement seems to be completely dry, and I run a dehumidifier. It doesn't smell like a mildewy bathroom, either, but more of a pungent basement smell. I'm thinking mouse urine, but that's just the first thing that comes to mind, since I'm not sure I know what mouse urine smells like. I do occasionally trap a mouse. It doesn't like what I picture a dead animal to smell like.
Any help identifying, finding and fixing this, or suggestions on who to call would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Dave
Fixing leaky basement- which solution is best?
Chemical/Vapor odor in basement after mold remediation
Sump Pump and Basement Odor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!