Our basement got about an inch of water in and around a floor drain that had previouslybeen closed off by pouring cement into it..It appears that the water is coming from around the seal..What can be done..
Hi, I am confused about what direction to go with repair to my basement. I live in a 110 yr. old stone foundation home which is on a corner property. My basement walls were previously recemented by my brother 6 yrs. ago and much of the wall is flaking and falling apart. There is also effervescence on some of the walls. I have had different contractors in, some tell me I need a french drain with waterproofing tarp on walls while others tell me I just need my walls done properly with the right cement and mortar repair. There is a corner section of the basement that needs repair where the worst water comes in during bad storms. (like hurrican sandy). sometimes nothing comes in. please help me know what to do. I appreciate any advice you could give me. Shirley
Hello I live in a Rainforest area on Vancouver Island: I just had drain tile installed along one side of the house (built 1967) by a reputable contractor: I have a small poured concrete stoop of about 6x6 feet that the builder had made to house his oil tank: you can enter the crawl space from under the stairs. This extends on the outside of the house and is the front step. The walls did not have cracks and the tar was applied like you suggest. We had our firs big rain storm and I still have seepage on the south side? I am at wits end. The downspouts were set up with their own pipes to take up some of the downpour. Any suggestions? Signed.."Used up all the Vacation Money".
It is important that the drainage system ties into a pump system. In essence you are constructing a "dewatering" system to essentially "vacuum" out the water. Did you install a pump system. Check here for more information.
we just spent 30 grand gutting and making new basement, there were no obvious cracks or holes on cement before insulation nd walls were built..We are now in the middle of a thaw-and rug under the only 2 windows in basement is soaked, no water on walls or water spots anywhere...our basement is underground and windows are under our deck...any suggestions?
This is by far the best website I've found on basement waterproofing. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. We can't afford to pay a company to do this work, nevertheless trust many of them, so now we're hopeful thanks to you. We will follow this step by step and get back with you for sure with any questions.
Here to try and help anyone,but can't be everywhere, every forum so, have lots of HONEST information, photos etc at a home inspector website if you wish to go there, read, see photos etc or contact me.
The site is...........
structural thread, look for title 'something else to chew on' by john bubber. No lies, no crap, just the facts and photos
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees