Our basement is 2 years old. We've had problems with water coming up through floor cracks but not enough to flood the basement. It leaks during the winter months usually after the first heavy rain (December/January) then it doesn't stop leaking until May/June. It hasn't rained in over a week and we still have water coming in. It will dry up and then 2 days later, the water will start coming back in. We just installed a sump pump last week and water is being pumped out but there is still a lot of water coming through the crack. The crack will be fixed once it dries out. The perimeter drain is working fine and everything is sloped away from the house. I don't know if the water has found that certain crack to come in at and will keep doing that until we get it fixed. We assumed the sump pump would have taken care of that problem. Does anyone know what else to do? It just doesn't make since to me how it will dry up and then start leaking again.
That house was built on an area with a groundwater table. Getting the sump pump was the right thing to do. Try setting the turn on level for the pump lower, or digging the sump lower to get the crack water down. Hopefully the sump is in the lowest spot on the floor. C.
i`ve had many people call me with same problem in last 2 months, water coming up through cracks in bsmt floor...so far all have been solved by a plumber i recommend who has snaked through floor drains and the main..out to street and back towards backyard, and all problems,clogs(hairline roots)were when he snaked under floor towards the back. As soon as he broke through(took 3--5 try`s) you could hear a good whoosh and the water they all had sitting on their floor for dyas `n weeks receded. The homeowner did try a diffreent plumber a while back but that guy didnt go towards the back..only out towards street. If that doesnt get it done for you then you may need another sump or try what 'Cellar" recommends. gl
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight