I hope this is the right board to post this question. As we were digging out from under snow once again here the northeast my husband and I looked up at the edge of of our roof and saw the biggest icicles ever! Then we looked around at our neighbors and it appears we are the "winners" - although in this case I don't think it is a good thing. I believe it means heat loss. This summer my husband was able to insulate most of the attic, but not near the edges. The house is a New Englander with the steeply slanted roof so he either couldn't get over there or it was blocked by bedroom walls. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
one way to prevent or reduce icicles is to ensure full soffit ventilation. allowing air to flow over the top of the wall into the attic space to be vented with a whirlybird/turbine roof vent or end vents. the low profile vents get plugged up under the snow and stop working. smaller icicles just hang onto the bottom 5 inches of roof and may not go up too far.
We don't have gutters, the icicles are just hanging off the edge of the roof. Don't know if that makes a difference.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!