I hope this is the right board to post this question. As we were digging out from under snow once again here the northeast my husband and I looked up at the edge of of our roof and saw the biggest icicles ever! Then we looked around at our neighbors and it appears we are the "winners" - although in this case I don't think it is a good thing. I believe it means heat loss. This summer my husband was able to insulate most of the attic, but not near the edges. The house is a New Englander with the steeply slanted roof so he either couldn't get over there or it was blocked by bedroom walls. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
one way to prevent or reduce icicles is to ensure full soffit ventilation. allowing air to flow over the top of the wall into the attic space to be vented with a whirlybird/turbine roof vent or end vents. the low profile vents get plugged up under the snow and stop working. smaller icicles just hang onto the bottom 5 inches of roof and may not go up too far.
We don't have gutters, the icicles are just hanging off the edge of the roof. Don't know if that makes a difference.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes