If you're just taking cut bamboo to weave or build a fence with, that's one thing. But if you're intention is to plant it, that's quite another. There are two basic bamboos...running (phyllostachys) and clumping (fargesia).
Running bamboo is the one that we always hear the horror stories about where the stuff just takes over vast areas. And it can, for it spreads by rhyzomes underground and can travel quite a distance seemingly overnight. (Wonder why Hitchcock never picked up on that one for a movie...) Some of the bad stories come from Japanese Knotweed, which might look a little like bamboo, and spreads like wildfire, but really isn't a true bamboo. Like running bamboo, it is nearly impossible to get rid of. There are some truly stunning running bamboos. They can be quite magnificent in the right place, if they're contained. And containment means installing a hard plastic barrier at least 30-36" deep completely surrounding the area where the bamboo will be allowed to grow. That's a lot of work.
Clumping bamboo grows like it says...it clumps. It stays in one place and does not spread. Planting a number of these together, in a staggered row might achieve what you want, but might run into some money, too. There are many wonderful varieties.
If you a nursery that specializes in or sells bamboo nearby, check them out and ask your questions. You can also check out some of the website dealing with bamboo to get more info. The New England Bamboo Company has a good website with a catalog with pictures.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight