A bit of background:
We have a 1957 construction with a very leaky basement. In the home's defense, the rain has been out of control, but each new rain brings 2-3" of water into the basement. The water is seeping between the wall (stacked block) and the floor (concrete, over a poured slab foundation). The original, exterior drain tile is most certainly clogged, as one side of the tile is not draining to the sump pump. We tried to have it snaked, but no dice.
The basement is not entirely accessible along its exterior perimeter, as we have a garage on one side, and an unexcavated portion on the opposite wall where the rest of the house sits. We can't possibly dig down to the foundation on those two walls. We also have in-floor radiant heating (via copper pipes).
One company wants to sell us a new exterior drain tile system (I'm guessing it will be $15,000 or more, 10 year warranty). Two companies want to install this interior drain system and a new sump pump (were quoted as high as $9500 with a lifetime transferable warranty and guarantee that they'll fix our radiant heating if they bust it). What's the best option for this house? We have gutters and will be installing more on the front, the yard slopes already towards a creek in the back, and we plan to do some work in the front yard to remove areas that get puddles. And yes - we know the basement has taken on water in the past, but not much more than that.
- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- interior vs. exterior drain tile on clay soil in flood-prone Central Michigan
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes