A bit of background:
We have a 1957 construction with a very leaky basement. In the home's defense, the rain has been out of control, but each new rain brings 2-3" of water into the basement. The water is seeping between the wall (stacked block) and the floor (concrete, over a poured slab foundation). The original, exterior drain tile is most certainly clogged, as one side of the tile is not draining to the sump pump. We tried to have it snaked, but no dice.
The basement is not entirely accessible along its exterior perimeter, as we have a garage on one side, and an unexcavated portion on the opposite wall where the rest of the house sits. We can't possibly dig down to the foundation on those two walls. We also have in-floor radiant heating (via copper pipes).
One company wants to sell us a new exterior drain tile system (I'm guessing it will be $15,000 or more, 10 year warranty). Two companies want to install this interior drain system and a new sump pump (were quoted as high as $9500 with a lifetime transferable warranty and guarantee that they'll fix our radiant heating if they bust it). What's the best option for this house? We have gutters and will be installing more on the front, the yard slopes already towards a creek in the back, and we plan to do some work in the front yard to remove areas that get puddles. And yes - we know the basement has taken on water in the past, but not much more than that.
- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- interior vs. exterior drain tile on clay soil in flood-prone Central Michigan
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!