I am in the process of buying a house with a Wood Foundation in Elkhart, IN (near South Bend) that is a Tri-Level and goes into the ground (but not really a "basement"). The builder of the house is Melody Homes, who has since gone out of business. I have looked at numerous posts on this site, but I am still not sure if I should proceed with buying this house. The house was built in 1994 and seems to be in good shape. There is a sheet of plywood on the exterior, then a layer of some sort of "Moisture Guard" next, and then the wood that looks like OSB.
Does anyone have ANY experience with this type of home in this area???? I am seriously in need of some educated opinions. We had a home inspector come and look at it, and he didn't seem to think that it would be a problem, but I don't want a house that is going to cave in in 30 years or that I won't be able to resell.
Foundation aside, the house is perfect for us, and I want to make sure that we aren't just throwing our money away.
Please help! Thank you!
When built correctly a wood foundation is far superior to concrete. Your basement never has that basement smell or humidity. With that being said we can not judge the quality of your home without seeing it. Find some other Melody homes in your area and talk with the people living in them. You might try the county recorder for other homes built by them.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING