I am in the process of buying a house with a Wood Foundation in Elkhart, IN (near South Bend) that is a Tri-Level and goes into the ground (but not really a "basement"). The builder of the house is Melody Homes, who has since gone out of business. I have looked at numerous posts on this site, but I am still not sure if I should proceed with buying this house. The house was built in 1994 and seems to be in good shape. There is a sheet of plywood on the exterior, then a layer of some sort of "Moisture Guard" next, and then the wood that looks like OSB.
Does anyone have ANY experience with this type of home in this area???? I am seriously in need of some educated opinions. We had a home inspector come and look at it, and he didn't seem to think that it would be a problem, but I don't want a house that is going to cave in in 30 years or that I won't be able to resell.
Foundation aside, the house is perfect for us, and I want to make sure that we aren't just throwing our money away.
Please help! Thank you!
When built correctly a wood foundation is far superior to concrete. Your basement never has that basement smell or humidity. With that being said we can not judge the quality of your home without seeing it. Find some other Melody homes in your area and talk with the people living in them. You might try the county recorder for other homes built by them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!