I am in the process of buying a house with a Wood Foundation in Elkhart, IN (near South Bend) that is a Tri-Level and goes into the ground (but not really a "basement"). The builder of the house is Melody Homes, who has since gone out of business. I have looked at numerous posts on this site, but I am still not sure if I should proceed with buying this house. The house was built in 1994 and seems to be in good shape. There is a sheet of plywood on the exterior, then a layer of some sort of "Moisture Guard" next, and then the wood that looks like OSB.
Does anyone have ANY experience with this type of home in this area???? I am seriously in need of some educated opinions. We had a home inspector come and look at it, and he didn't seem to think that it would be a problem, but I don't want a house that is going to cave in in 30 years or that I won't be able to resell.
Foundation aside, the house is perfect for us, and I want to make sure that we aren't just throwing our money away.
Please help! Thank you!
When built correctly a wood foundation is far superior to concrete. Your basement never has that basement smell or humidity. With that being said we can not judge the quality of your home without seeing it. Find some other Melody homes in your area and talk with the people living in them. You might try the county recorder for other homes built by them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes