I am in the process of buying a house with a Wood Foundation in Elkhart, IN (near South Bend) that is a Tri-Level and goes into the ground (but not really a "basement"). The builder of the house is Melody Homes, who has since gone out of business. I have looked at numerous posts on this site, but I am still not sure if I should proceed with buying this house. The house was built in 1994 and seems to be in good shape. There is a sheet of plywood on the exterior, then a layer of some sort of "Moisture Guard" next, and then the wood that looks like OSB.
Does anyone have ANY experience with this type of home in this area???? I am seriously in need of some educated opinions. We had a home inspector come and look at it, and he didn't seem to think that it would be a problem, but I don't want a house that is going to cave in in 30 years or that I won't be able to resell.
Foundation aside, the house is perfect for us, and I want to make sure that we aren't just throwing our money away.
Please help! Thank you!
When built correctly a wood foundation is far superior to concrete. Your basement never has that basement smell or humidity. With that being said we can not judge the quality of your home without seeing it. Find some other Melody homes in your area and talk with the people living in them. You might try the county recorder for other homes built by them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!