I am in the process of buying a house with a Wood Foundation in Elkhart, IN (near South Bend) that is a Tri-Level and goes into the ground (but not really a "basement"). The builder of the house is Melody Homes, who has since gone out of business. I have looked at numerous posts on this site, but I am still not sure if I should proceed with buying this house. The house was built in 1994 and seems to be in good shape. There is a sheet of plywood on the exterior, then a layer of some sort of "Moisture Guard" next, and then the wood that looks like OSB.
Does anyone have ANY experience with this type of home in this area???? I am seriously in need of some educated opinions. We had a home inspector come and look at it, and he didn't seem to think that it would be a problem, but I don't want a house that is going to cave in in 30 years or that I won't be able to resell.
Foundation aside, the house is perfect for us, and I want to make sure that we aren't just throwing our money away.
Please help! Thank you!
When built correctly a wood foundation is far superior to concrete. Your basement never has that basement smell or humidity. With that being said we can not judge the quality of your home without seeing it. Find some other Melody homes in your area and talk with the people living in them. You might try the county recorder for other homes built by them.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight