Im getting ready to sign a contract on a home to use as an investment within a few days.
In the basement, it already has a perimeter drain leading to a sump pit/pump where the water is pumped up, and out of the house,above grade, and into a crock the gutters pour into.
The house is a repo,so the electric is not on,and thus the sump pump isnt on. I see where it appears relatively recently there was water coming thru the floor through some cracks.
Does this sound like its only because theres no electric running the pump,and the hydrostatic pressure is building up and water is seeping?
Or is it possible the pump was installed after the house was built,there's no gravel under the slab (built in 54), and its another entire problem?
The grade does slope toward the house,the gutters are clogged etc, so I know I need to fix those things.
BUT, should i buy the house even tho i can not turn on the electric until I buy it, or am I taking a HUUUUGE risk.
Im leaning towards buying it and hoping for the best.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!