Im getting ready to sign a contract on a home to use as an investment within a few days.
In the basement, it already has a perimeter drain leading to a sump pit/pump where the water is pumped up, and out of the house,above grade, and into a crock the gutters pour into.
The house is a repo,so the electric is not on,and thus the sump pump isnt on. I see where it appears relatively recently there was water coming thru the floor through some cracks.
Does this sound like its only because theres no electric running the pump,and the hydrostatic pressure is building up and water is seeping?
Or is it possible the pump was installed after the house was built,there's no gravel under the slab (built in 54), and its another entire problem?
The grade does slope toward the house,the gutters are clogged etc, so I know I need to fix those things.
BUT, should i buy the house even tho i can not turn on the electric until I buy it, or am I taking a HUUUUGE risk.
Im leaning towards buying it and hoping for the best.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes