Im getting ready to sign a contract on a home to use as an investment within a few days.
In the basement, it already has a perimeter drain leading to a sump pit/pump where the water is pumped up, and out of the house,above grade, and into a crock the gutters pour into.
The house is a repo,so the electric is not on,and thus the sump pump isnt on. I see where it appears relatively recently there was water coming thru the floor through some cracks.
Does this sound like its only because theres no electric running the pump,and the hydrostatic pressure is building up and water is seeping?
Or is it possible the pump was installed after the house was built,there's no gravel under the slab (built in 54), and its another entire problem?
The grade does slope toward the house,the gutters are clogged etc, so I know I need to fix those things.
BUT, should i buy the house even tho i can not turn on the electric until I buy it, or am I taking a HUUUUGE risk.
Im leaning towards buying it and hoping for the best.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates