After having my roofing shingles meet a premature death due to excessive heat build up I installed a ridge vent on my roof. I have determined that I am in need of additional vents under the eaves. One of the locations I intended to install a vent would place it about 5 feet directly above the outside compressor of my central air conditioning unit. I initially thought that this would be a good way to get additional air flow into the attic whenever the a/c unit turned on in hot weather. Now, I am having second thoughts wondering if the air flow from the unit might contain too much moisture or cause some other problem. I emailed GAF for their advice but they sidestepped the issue entirely. What do you think?
The moisture will not be any different at the compressor fan than elsewhere outside. On the other hand, heat is another story. Being hotter than the ambient air can't be an asset even if it is moving at a higher velocity. I recommend omitting vents above the compressor. If you want to move the attic air, add an attic exhaust fan.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!