Having a hard time keeping the townhouse cool. On a hot day (hit 100 degrees this weekend) the a/c will run at least 5 hours even with the temperature set at 80 degrees (we run the ceiling fans as well). Even when the outside temperatures are down to 60 degrees in the night, it is still about 78 inside. It is a 2 story townhouse with total square footage of 1,400 and has a 3-ton a/c which was checked and was working as efficiently as possible. It is a middle unit and the eastern, western and part of the southern walls are exposed to the sun, and there is no shade on the roof. I think the problem is the attic which seems to have only one gable vent. The air inside is very hot and is about 110 close to the entrance of the attic. It must be at least about 150 closer to the top. The insulation between the attic and living area is about 30 years old, but I have been told by the a/c ducting person who took a look that it is in good condition. There does not seem to be any other form of venting visible.
The townhouse is in a complex that has a Home Owner’s Association and therefore hard to get the okay to do anything that can be seen from the outside. Was thinking of putting a gable fan, but have concerns about creating a vacuum or worse having air drawn from the living area.
Any thoughts and advice will be much appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!