basement leak in hard rain - best short term solution ?
our basement leaks in hard rain. i know we should investigate from the outside but we will need to destroy a deck to do it so we cannot do it immediately. Short term solutions are to build a diversion to make sure water goes directly to sump pump (it pretty much does now - i just worry)and/or try to seal the are where the water comes in where wall meets floor - poured cement).
1)if i just divert the water (which will minimize the risk of flooding disaster in finished section) how likely is it that the water coming in will erode the wall and the problem will get much worse over time ?
2) If i try to patch the area with cement will the water just find another route and perhaps somewhere worse ? Are we better off just leaving it for now ? Better the enemy we know ...
3) When is diversion good enough ?
thanks so much for any advice/info
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY