basement leak in hard rain - best short term solution ?
our basement leaks in hard rain. i know we should investigate from the outside but we will need to destroy a deck to do it so we cannot do it immediately. Short term solutions are to build a diversion to make sure water goes directly to sump pump (it pretty much does now - i just worry)and/or try to seal the are where the water comes in where wall meets floor - poured cement).
1)if i just divert the water (which will minimize the risk of flooding disaster in finished section) how likely is it that the water coming in will erode the wall and the problem will get much worse over time ?
2) If i try to patch the area with cement will the water just find another route and perhaps somewhere worse ? Are we better off just leaving it for now ? Better the enemy we know ...
3) When is diversion good enough ?
thanks so much for any advice/info
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects