basement leak in hard rain - best short term solution ?
our basement leaks in hard rain. i know we should investigate from the outside but we will need to destroy a deck to do it so we cannot do it immediately. Short term solutions are to build a diversion to make sure water goes directly to sump pump (it pretty much does now - i just worry)and/or try to seal the are where the water comes in where wall meets floor - poured cement).
1)if i just divert the water (which will minimize the risk of flooding disaster in finished section) how likely is it that the water coming in will erode the wall and the problem will get much worse over time ?
2) If i try to patch the area with cement will the water just find another route and perhaps somewhere worse ? Are we better off just leaving it for now ? Better the enemy we know ...
3) When is diversion good enough ?
thanks so much for any advice/info
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight