basement leak in hard rain - best short term solution ?
our basement leaks in hard rain. i know we should investigate from the outside but we will need to destroy a deck to do it so we cannot do it immediately. Short term solutions are to build a diversion to make sure water goes directly to sump pump (it pretty much does now - i just worry)and/or try to seal the are where the water comes in where wall meets floor - poured cement).
1)if i just divert the water (which will minimize the risk of flooding disaster in finished section) how likely is it that the water coming in will erode the wall and the problem will get much worse over time ?
2) If i try to patch the area with cement will the water just find another route and perhaps somewhere worse ? Are we better off just leaving it for now ? Better the enemy we know ...
3) When is diversion good enough ?
thanks so much for any advice/info
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!