basement leak in hard rain - best short term solution ?
our basement leaks in hard rain. i know we should investigate from the outside but we will need to destroy a deck to do it so we cannot do it immediately. Short term solutions are to build a diversion to make sure water goes directly to sump pump (it pretty much does now - i just worry)and/or try to seal the are where the water comes in where wall meets floor - poured cement).
1)if i just divert the water (which will minimize the risk of flooding disaster in finished section) how likely is it that the water coming in will erode the wall and the problem will get much worse over time ?
2) If i try to patch the area with cement will the water just find another route and perhaps somewhere worse ? Are we better off just leaving it for now ? Better the enemy we know ...
3) When is diversion good enough ?
thanks so much for any advice/info
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers