I have a very mature tree located on the bank of a stream with exposed roots. The roots hang over the bank for most of thier length. Can roots be cut without harming the tree?
if the tree is important to you, i would not cut the roots. i would build a retaining wall to support the tree and add soil back over the roots. the erosion will eventually bring the tree down. if you must, i would take less than one third of the roots per season. remember that the roots are helping to stabalize the bank. without them, the bank will erode more bringing the tree down sooner.
I would want to know what kind of a tree it is. Some trees have shallow roots while others have a very deep main tap root. If it is the latter, you might get away with cutting some.
It is a very mature Tulip Poplar tree. Probably forty or fifty years old. The two roots in question stick out over the stream bank for about twelve feet, they are only three or four inches thick.
Found a great article on root pruning from Iowa State University. Specifically it says..."Trees intolerant of root pruning include beech (Fagus grandifolia), birch (Betula spp.), conifers, Callery pear (Pyrus calleryana 'Bradford'), sugar maple, and tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera)" Check it out at http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1995/3-31-1995/sidetree.html What about Plan B?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps