Our basement recently flooded and we are not sure how to prevent it from happening again. We are desperate because the "waterproofing companies" all give different solutions (ie whatever product they are trying to sell).
Water came in 3 ways:
1) running in from slop sink
2) came in from cracks in concrete floor
3) seepage where the walls meet the floor
We do not want to put drain pipes around the basement interior because that will still allow the water to come in.
We know that we need a check valve for the slopsink but how do we prevent water coming in the floor (noticeable cracks) and walls (no noticeable cracks).
What kind of professional do we call to come look at it?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Your'e looking at an exterior drain around the base of the foundation with crushed rock fill to grade level and a sump pump or two if this is to be done correctly. Trouble is it will run $$$$$. I don't like the inside drains either. On the outside the water pressure is relieved against the foundation. This is water that occurs in the ground, and must be handled. C.
thank you. What type of professional installs drains around the foundation - a g.c. or is that something a landscaper can do?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!