Our basement recently flooded and we are not sure how to prevent it from happening again. We are desperate because the "waterproofing companies" all give different solutions (ie whatever product they are trying to sell).
Water came in 3 ways:
1) running in from slop sink
2) came in from cracks in concrete floor
3) seepage where the walls meet the floor
We do not want to put drain pipes around the basement interior because that will still allow the water to come in.
We know that we need a check valve for the slopsink but how do we prevent water coming in the floor (noticeable cracks) and walls (no noticeable cracks).
What kind of professional do we call to come look at it?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Your'e looking at an exterior drain around the base of the foundation with crushed rock fill to grade level and a sump pump or two if this is to be done correctly. Trouble is it will run $$$$$. I don't like the inside drains either. On the outside the water pressure is relieved against the foundation. This is water that occurs in the ground, and must be handled. C.
thank you. What type of professional installs drains around the foundation - a g.c. or is that something a landscaper can do?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY