here is something else to chew on about these inside drain tile & dewatering methods and Radon gas....
here is 1 example of many http://www.nova-inc.com/q&a.htm
please scoll down and slowly read Q & A 20
"seal all cracks EXCEPT the lower 3 inches of wall or cracks.NEVER seal the joint where the wall and floor meet!"
Now, How does RADON enter homes & buildings? http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleId=173
"Radon gas enters residences and buildings through dirt floors, Cracks in walls & floors, floor drains, sump pumps etc"
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/radon.html "caulking & sealing cracks & holes in basement floors and walls helps stop the release of Radon from the ground into the building"
"The concrete walls & floors helps slow down the movement of Radon from the soil into the building. However, cracks in the floor, wall slab joints and the drainage system allows radon to enter a building."
So... First, an inside method does not seal outside cracks & other openings which allows Radon to enter, gotta go outside to accomplish this. Secondly, an inside method doesnt seal all cracks inside the basement where Radon enters. In fact, with block walls they drill holes in the bottom courses to control the water that is...still entering through outside cracks etc.
Thing is, they created MORE openings to allow Radon to enter your basement. And i know some folks need a sump pump(s) to help control the water level under the floor but it is another opening which can allow higher levels of radon in your home.
http://www.tarleton.edu/~physci/CT/ES3503/Radon.html scroll to Pathways, how does Radon Gas enter homes?
"cracks in solid floors, construction joints, cracks in walls, gaps in suspended floors, gaps around service pipes, Cavities inside walls, water supply"
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING