here is something else to chew on about these inside drain tile & dewatering methods and Radon gas....
here is 1 example of many http://www.nova-inc.com/q&a.htm
please scoll down and slowly read Q & A 20
"seal all cracks EXCEPT the lower 3 inches of wall or cracks.NEVER seal the joint where the wall and floor meet!"
Now, How does RADON enter homes & buildings? http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleId=173
"Radon gas enters residences and buildings through dirt floors, Cracks in walls & floors, floor drains, sump pumps etc"
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/radon.html "caulking & sealing cracks & holes in basement floors and walls helps stop the release of Radon from the ground into the building"
"The concrete walls & floors helps slow down the movement of Radon from the soil into the building. However, cracks in the floor, wall slab joints and the drainage system allows radon to enter a building."
So... First, an inside method does not seal outside cracks & other openings which allows Radon to enter, gotta go outside to accomplish this. Secondly, an inside method doesnt seal all cracks inside the basement where Radon enters. In fact, with block walls they drill holes in the bottom courses to control the water that is...still entering through outside cracks etc.
Thing is, they created MORE openings to allow Radon to enter your basement. And i know some folks need a sump pump(s) to help control the water level under the floor but it is another opening which can allow higher levels of radon in your home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!