here is something else to chew on about these inside drain tile & dewatering methods and Radon gas....
here is 1 example of many http://www.nova-inc.com/q&a.htm
please scoll down and slowly read Q & A 20
"seal all cracks EXCEPT the lower 3 inches of wall or cracks.NEVER seal the joint where the wall and floor meet!"
Now, How does RADON enter homes & buildings? http://www.aerias.org/DesktopModules/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleId=173
"Radon gas enters residences and buildings through dirt floors, Cracks in walls & floors, floor drains, sump pumps etc"
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/radon.html "caulking & sealing cracks & holes in basement floors and walls helps stop the release of Radon from the ground into the building"
"The concrete walls & floors helps slow down the movement of Radon from the soil into the building. However, cracks in the floor, wall slab joints and the drainage system allows radon to enter a building."
So... First, an inside method does not seal outside cracks & other openings which allows Radon to enter, gotta go outside to accomplish this. Secondly, an inside method doesnt seal all cracks inside the basement where Radon enters. In fact, with block walls they drill holes in the bottom courses to control the water that is...still entering through outside cracks etc.
Thing is, they created MORE openings to allow Radon to enter your basement. And i know some folks need a sump pump(s) to help control the water level under the floor but it is another opening which can allow higher levels of radon in your home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!