I live in a relatively new construction (2002) and the basement is humid in spring, summer and fall. Mold is growing on items that are stored in the basement.
There is no obvious water leakage. The builder claims to have installed a high quality vapor barrier. Our gas-based water heater (which heats water for our baseboard heat) is located in the basement as is a second refrigerator. The water heater manufacturer has sent out a rep who did not see any possible vapor from the heating system as the cause.
We are one unit in a two unit building that shares a single foundation. Our neighbors have no humidity problems in their basement (the sump pump is located on their side of the property - if that matters).
We are stumped.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How do I find half?
Heat pump in attic - How do I insulate?
How do I attach a floating partition to a steel beam?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes