I live in a relatively new construction (2002) and the basement is humid in spring, summer and fall. Mold is growing on items that are stored in the basement.
There is no obvious water leakage. The builder claims to have installed a high quality vapor barrier. Our gas-based water heater (which heats water for our baseboard heat) is located in the basement as is a second refrigerator. The water heater manufacturer has sent out a rep who did not see any possible vapor from the heating system as the cause.
We are one unit in a two unit building that shares a single foundation. Our neighbors have no humidity problems in their basement (the sump pump is located on their side of the property - if that matters).
We are stumped.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How do I find half?
Heat pump in attic - How do I insulate?
How do I attach a floating partition to a steel beam?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs