I have a single story 1890 house with about 1650 sq ft. It has a partial basement, apparently dug out sometime after the house was constructed. It ranges from 3-4' in the crawl space areas to 5'6" in the front areas where they have already poured concrete. It appears they came out a few feet from the foundation, dug down, and poured a shelf of concrete to support the foundation.
I have already remodeled the house completely, and would like to add more square footage, without adding out sideways. I have read several articles concerning digging out basements, and they all seem to contradict one another. Anything is possible for the right amount of money, but I wonder how costly and how complicated this project would be? Any suggestions are welcome. I have read about jacking up the house, adding steel beams for support, and digging out from there. I would expect this project to run about $30k unfinished, is that a realistic estimate?
it is considerably more reasonable to go south than north. the mere cost per square foot tells you that. not to mention the code requirements and engineering expense. check it out but i am pretty sure that all jurisdictions would be consistent on these numbers.
Digging out a basement is not as simple as it may seem. The foundation is the support structure for the house and removing soild from inside of the house can be a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying it cannot be done, it just has to be done properly. This is not considered a DIY project. Your house is old and it may not take to be tinkered with lightly.
Should I Worry? Water Always Flowing Into Sump Pit
Turning A Crawl Space Into A Full Basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!