I have a single story 1890 house with about 1650 sq ft. It has a partial basement, apparently dug out sometime after the house was constructed. It ranges from 3-4' in the crawl space areas to 5'6" in the front areas where they have already poured concrete. It appears they came out a few feet from the foundation, dug down, and poured a shelf of concrete to support the foundation.
I have already remodeled the house completely, and would like to add more square footage, without adding out sideways. I have read several articles concerning digging out basements, and they all seem to contradict one another. Anything is possible for the right amount of money, but I wonder how costly and how complicated this project would be? Any suggestions are welcome. I have read about jacking up the house, adding steel beams for support, and digging out from there. I would expect this project to run about $30k unfinished, is that a realistic estimate?
it is considerably more reasonable to go south than north. the mere cost per square foot tells you that. not to mention the code requirements and engineering expense. check it out but i am pretty sure that all jurisdictions would be consistent on these numbers.
Digging out a basement is not as simple as it may seem. The foundation is the support structure for the house and removing soild from inside of the house can be a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying it cannot be done, it just has to be done properly. This is not considered a DIY project. Your house is old and it may not take to be tinkered with lightly.
Should I Worry? Water Always Flowing Into Sump Pit
Turning A Crawl Space Into A Full Basement
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects