I have a single story 1890 house with about 1650 sq ft. It has a partial basement, apparently dug out sometime after the house was constructed. It ranges from 3-4' in the crawl space areas to 5'6" in the front areas where they have already poured concrete. It appears they came out a few feet from the foundation, dug down, and poured a shelf of concrete to support the foundation.
I have already remodeled the house completely, and would like to add more square footage, without adding out sideways. I have read several articles concerning digging out basements, and they all seem to contradict one another. Anything is possible for the right amount of money, but I wonder how costly and how complicated this project would be? Any suggestions are welcome. I have read about jacking up the house, adding steel beams for support, and digging out from there. I would expect this project to run about $30k unfinished, is that a realistic estimate?
it is considerably more reasonable to go south than north. the mere cost per square foot tells you that. not to mention the code requirements and engineering expense. check it out but i am pretty sure that all jurisdictions would be consistent on these numbers.
Digging out a basement is not as simple as it may seem. The foundation is the support structure for the house and removing soild from inside of the house can be a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying it cannot be done, it just has to be done properly. This is not considered a DIY project. Your house is old and it may not take to be tinkered with lightly.
Should I Worry? Water Always Flowing Into Sump Pit
Turning A Crawl Space Into A Full Basement
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers