I really need some help figuring out what is going on in my basement. I've had 4 cases of condensation in the past month. From what I've read, houses with central a/c don't usually have this problem so I'm not sure what is going on.
I have a basement apartment which is about 500 sq ft and has tiled floors. There are air ducts on the ceiling of each of the three rooms (bath, bed and living rooms) and a return in the kitchen, which also has an exhaust fan above the stove.
I've owned the house for two years and the basement was empty last year. I didn't notice any condensation or water problems until late May. Initially I found my tenants had opened windows during humid days, but they are all closed now.
Each time I turn the ac temp a little lower and run the fan continuously until it clears up.
I had another report of it this morning... temp was cooler so ac did not run overnight. I had a small window open upstairs which I don't think would cool things down enough to prevent the ac from turning on. In addition there seems to be some water in one of the exterior corners... there was rain last night and this morning.
I had previously checked the sump pump and its working fine. I do not see any cracks outside. The easetrough is split at that corner which could be a factor. However, since I had no problem last year I'm not convinced either of these are the cause. Plus there is a flower bed which is watered regularly but doesn't seem to cause a problem.
Before calling in a professional I'd like to make sure I've tried everything I can. The only other thing I can think of is that the tenants are using a plug-in air purifier. I don't think it impacts humidity but mentioning it just in case.
I would appreciate any suggestions you have.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers