I've just started to notice/smell mildew on our partially finished basement cinder block walls. What's the best way to clean and prevent this? Thanks in advance for the advice.
...if there is any plastic up against basement wall(s) it can cause condensation which can then cause mold/mildew, just so you know.
Cinder block walls can get water/moisture INTO the hollow-block from cracks,crevices etc on the....Outside of the wall. Many--not all of these cracks/crevices/gaps are NOT VISIBLE from the Inside, you won`t see them.
So if your not getting water on floor it`s 'possible' enough MOISTURE could be entering the hollow block walls from Outside openings and they can be openings below ground,cracks etc or, ABOVE ground openings like having stucco,like openings in mortar joints, or having cheap-porous bricks. Openings around windows `n doors etc. Any of these could/can cause mold,mildew,efflorescence,paint peeling,discoloration of basement walls.
AND-OR, high humidity in basement
here are some links...
....6th, 7th para`s in Yoder link
Why do Basements flood? click diagram on cmhc link
Question for LWP, Cellarman, Basement Waterproofer a...
This is where/why MOST basements leak-seep
Help - cutting a hole....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates