I've just started to notice/smell mildew on our partially finished basement cinder block walls. What's the best way to clean and prevent this? Thanks in advance for the advice.
...if there is any plastic up against basement wall(s) it can cause condensation which can then cause mold/mildew, just so you know.
Cinder block walls can get water/moisture INTO the hollow-block from cracks,crevices etc on the....Outside of the wall. Many--not all of these cracks/crevices/gaps are NOT VISIBLE from the Inside, you won`t see them.
So if your not getting water on floor it`s 'possible' enough MOISTURE could be entering the hollow block walls from Outside openings and they can be openings below ground,cracks etc or, ABOVE ground openings like having stucco,like openings in mortar joints, or having cheap-porous bricks. Openings around windows `n doors etc. Any of these could/can cause mold,mildew,efflorescence,paint peeling,discoloration of basement walls.
AND-OR, high humidity in basement
here are some links...
....6th, 7th para`s in Yoder link
Why do Basements flood? click diagram on cmhc link
Question for LWP, Cellarman, Basement Waterproofer a...
This is where/why MOST basements leak-seep
Help - cutting a hole....
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING