I have an 80 year old house and my basement is completely dry, I don't get any water at all in it. The foundation is stone covered with a plaster/sand mix. The covering is drying out and flaking off. I want to finish the basement, do I need to do any kind of repair to this or can I just put the walls up over the stone? The covering doesn't actually come off unless touched. I hope someone answers this, there seem to be several postings over the years regarding this sand/plaster mix flaking off but no one responds. It can't possibly be something never dealt with - of course I think it is more related to a dry basement than a wet one...
I do not have experience with your type of wall, but if you are planning on putting up walls, why bother fixing anything? If you want to help prevent the wall from crumbling a coat of paint may help. However, if you do have moisture in the walls, the paint would not let it escape. I do not think there is a definative answer, so do what you fell most comfortable doing since once you button up the walls, you will be living there.
bowing basement walls
basement walls deteriating
Painting poured concrete basement walls (Stamped Bri...
painting poured concrete basement walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!