My husband and I are in the process of planning the finishing of our basement. This is a newer home. The builder put in a bath rough-in in the basement but we don't like the present location and would want to move it to a location closer to the staircase. Is this a feasible project? Will we compromise the building's structure by doing this? Is it a costly project to redo the bath rough-in, can someone give me an idea how much it may cost. The important thing I need to know is if it is advisable to move the bath rough-in or just leave it where it is.
Certainly it will add to your costs, but should not affect the structural integrity of the home. Someone would have to tear into the concrete floor to put in the new drain and pipes to the new location, plus bring water lines from the closest source to the new location. I would talk with a few plumbers and get estimates -- hard to say without seeing how far you have to move everything. When you get bids, think about your long term plans. Is the new location worth it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes