My husband and I are in the process of planning the finishing of our basement. This is a newer home. The builder put in a bath rough-in in the basement but we don't like the present location and would want to move it to a location closer to the staircase. Is this a feasible project? Will we compromise the building's structure by doing this? Is it a costly project to redo the bath rough-in, can someone give me an idea how much it may cost. The important thing I need to know is if it is advisable to move the bath rough-in or just leave it where it is.
Certainly it will add to your costs, but should not affect the structural integrity of the home. Someone would have to tear into the concrete floor to put in the new drain and pipes to the new location, plus bring water lines from the closest source to the new location. I would talk with a few plumbers and get estimates -- hard to say without seeing how far you have to move everything. When you get bids, think about your long term plans. Is the new location worth it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!